These instructions document how to configure a workstation for use with Golem and other servers. You will need two computers: the workstations itself and a build computer capable of downloading and preparing materials to install on the workstation.
- Download the latest Fedora installer.
- Attach a USB thumb drive to the build computer. Run
dmesgand observe the device name associated with the thumb drive. You should see a message which resembles
[X] Attached SCSI removable disk. Here,
Xindicates that you can access the thumb drive through
- Copy the Fedora installer image to the thumb drive by running
dd if=Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-30-1.2.iso of=/dev/Xwith root privileges. You should replace
Xwith the correct name.
- After copying the Fedora installer image to the thumb drive, remove it from the build computer, and attach it to the workstation. Turn on the workstation.
- You should soon see a screen such as this:
Fedora 30 Install Fedora 30 Test this media & install Fedora Troubleshooting
Press Tab to edit the installers parameters. Append
the following to the end of the configuration line:
- Eventually, the installer will present a menu that allows you to set
the workstation’s root password. Press
7and enter a password of your choosing twice.
bto begin the installation.
- Reboot the workstation after the installation completes.