Students must submit a coherent, well-written proposal before I will take on the task of advising a research project. I recommend applying the Heilmeier Catechism as you go about describing what you intend to accomplish:
- What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
- How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
- What is new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who cares? If you are successful, what difference will it make?
- What are the risks?
- How much will it cost?
- How long will it take?
- What are the mid-term and final “exams” to check for success?
Expect to work three hours per week for every credit hour earned during your research project.